This Common Core-aligned reading lesson will help students engage in a writing assessment about their opinion in the form of a thank you letter to Grandmother (a character featured in this Reading series’ theme). We have directions, a template, and teacher rubric enclosed.
Lesson Plan Overview
The PowerPoint is editable as a PPTX file. If you want a ready-to-go slides, download the PDF. Common Core and the Missouri Learning Standards are enclosed for both.
Letter Template and Rubric (DOCX only)
Making Camp Premium
Play Making Camp Premium! This CCSS-aligned, Native American-themed game engages students with math and problem-solving. For Grades 3-8; downloadable and playable on your smartphone as well as PC, Mac, and Chromebook. Teacher reports can be accessed with purchase or donation of classroom license.
Grade 5 Common Core State Standards for Literacy and Writing
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.1 Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.1.B Provide logically ordered reasons that are supported by facts and details.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.3.C Use a variety of transitional words, phrases, and clauses to manage the sequence of events.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.3.D Use concrete words and phrases and sensory details to convey experiences and events precisely.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.1.D Provide a concluding statement or section related to the opinion presented.
Grade 5 Missouri Learning Standards (MLS)
- Reading 1A (5.R.1.A.c) – Develop and apply skills to the reading process.
- Develop and demonstrate reading skills in response to text by monitoring comprehension and making corrections and adjustments when understanding breaks down
- Reading Foundations 3A (5.RF.3.A.a-b) – Understand how English is written and read.
- Develop phonics in the reading process by those tasks described in a-b.
- Speaking/Listening 1A (5.SL.1.A.a-d) – Listen for a purpose.
- Purpose – Develop and apply effective listening skills and strategies in formal and informal settings by following SL.1.A. a-d.