Games Teaching History Terms and Concepts
AzTech: The Story Begins – Download this free game for your kids on iPad or play in a browser on Mac, Chromebook, or Windows.
AzTech: Meet the Maya. – Download on iPad or play on Chromebook, Mac or Windows on the web. Learn about statistics with Latin American history. Get in some valuable practice using historical timelines.
- Video: History Terms: What’s the word? What does it mean to be the “masters” of something? What does the word “indigenous” mean? We have two videos, each in English or Spanish.
- Video: Using Timelines with BCE – The world existed before year zero, right? Check out these two videos in both English and Spanish to learn all about it.
How to Solve the Timeline Problem – This video show you how to solve the timeline problem. Follow three simple steps to find the proper number of years gone by. For Grades 5-7.
What’s the Word? – History terms are explained – ancient, masters of, empire – with illustrations.
- Download PPT of What’s the Word?
- Download PDF of What’s the Word?
- Download Spanish PPT: ¿Cuál es la palabra?
- Download Spanish PDF: ¿Cuál es la palabra?
Using a Time Line
If you’re a teacher, you probably know that time lines are actually a social studies standard, not math. However, we’re all about teaching math in context and we know from experience that many students struggle with timelines that have dates before the start of the common era.
Use these short videos for examples of solving a time line problem when one of the dates is B.C.E. Provided below are the PowerPoints in English and Spanish.
- Download PPT for How to Solve the Time Line Problem
- Download PDF for How to Solve the Time Line Problem
- Download Spanish PPT: Línea de tiempo con AEC
- Download Spanish PDF: Línea de tiempo con AEC