In this Common Core-aligned writing lesson, students will read and analyze a letter and edit it for organization and minor errors. Listen to an audio file of the finished letter afterwards. Click the audio links within the PowerPoint and assignment to play the audio files.
Teacher Tip: If you’re playing Making Camp Premium, make sure to set up student usernames and passwords before gameplay.
Lesson plan overview
Audio for streaming / download
Links in the documents will play the audio files listed here. They are also here for your perusal, just in case.
The answers are enclosed in each document. Download the DOCX file for customization.
Making Camp Premium now comes with ELA support. You can now have your students play to to support ELA knowledge.
Grade 5 Standards Addressed
Common Core State Standards: Grade 5 Reading, Writing and Literacy
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.2 Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.1.A Introduce a topic or text clearly, state an opinion, and create an organizational structure in which ideas are logically grouped to support the writer’s purpose.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.5.3 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.7 Analyze how multimedia elements contribute to the meaning, tone, or beauty of a text.
Missouri Learning Standards (MLS): Grade 5
- Reading 1A (5.R.1.A.c) – Develop and apply skills to the reading process.
- Develop and demonstrate reading skills in response to text by monitoring comprehension and making corrections and adjustments when understanding breaks down
- Reading Foundations 3A (5.RF.3.A.a-b) – Understand how English is written and read.
- Develop phonics in the reading process by those tasks described in a-b.
- Speaking/Listening 1A (5.SL.1.A.a-d) – Listen for a purpose.
- Purpose – Develop and apply effective listening skills and strategies in formal and informal settings by following SL.1.A. a-d.