Math 3OA.A.4 Determine the unknown whole number in a multiplication or division equation relating three whole numbers.
NCSS The study of people, places, and environments enables us to understand the relationship between human populations and the physical world.
Computer/tablet with internet access for reporting Making Camp
Ojibwe History Integrated with Math
If your students are like most people, you’re having a hard time getting them to focus. That’s why we’ve created seven short lessons for you. Each of these only takes a few minutes, teaches Ojibwe (Native American) history, multiplication or division.
In the game, students learn where people and places are located and why they are there. Through this context, they are introduced to history, patterns Native American settlement and migration, learn of the roles of different kinds of population centers in Ojibwe society, and investigate the impact of their activities on the environment.
- Have students open Making Camp Premium.
- If students are playing the game for the very first time, they will watch the two introductory videos that talk about Native Americans and how to play the game. Then you will see the Making Camp choice screen.
3. Click the NUMBERS box to view the six math challenges.
Press the round, green button with white squares to return to the choice screen at any time.
- Click on the top left box (with cards) to play a memory game. You match multiplication problems with their answers. You may assign this activity for 5 minutes of multiplication drills.
The Multiplication Dog
- This lesson opens with a paragraph explaining that some tribes used dogs to haul heavy loads, using a type of sled called a travois. The player then has the opportunity to earn a dog and items for their dog in the game by answering multiplication problems. The game resets when it is finished, and also takes about 5 minutes.
Making Camp Premium offers Data and Reports for teachers to access after students are finished playing. If you are remote teaching students experiencing low internet connectivity, remind students to connect their device to an internet hotspot when they get a chance so that the game app can download updates and transmit score data for you to view.
Download Making Camp Premium
Download the game for your phone or tablet from the App Store or Google Play. Otherwise, that’s it. That’s your five minutes of practicing and learning cross-curricular multiplication and social studies.