What does it mean to be the “masters” of something? What does the word “indigenous” mean?
- History Terms YouTube video: What’s the word?- (Want it in Spanish? Here you go: Términos de historia. )
- What’s the word? (Download the PowerPoint (PPTX format).) History terms explained – ancient, masters of, empire – with illustrations. IN SPANISH: ¿Cuál es la palabra?
- What’s the word? in PDF – PDF IN SPANISH: ¿Cuál es la palabra?
Using a Time Line
If you’re a teacher, you probably know that time lines are actually a social studies standard, not math. However, that seems like splitting hairs to us. We’re all about teaching math in context and we know from experience that many students struggle with time lines that have dates before the year zero.
Solving time line problems with years Before the Common Era (B.C.E.) – This video explains the meaning of B.C.E. and how to use a time line to find the number of years between two dates when one of those dates is B.C.E.
This short video has an example of solving a time line problem when one of the dates is B.C.E. and the other is A.C.E.
- POWERPOINT of this video Time line example with BCE – Addition of negative values using timelines for clarification.
- PDF of this video Time line with BCE – Addition of negative values using timelines for clarification
- POWERPOINT of this video IN SPANISH: Línea de tiempo con AEC
- PDF of this video in SPANISH: Línea de tiempo con AEC
Games Teaching History Terms and Concepts
The history resources come from our free game, AzTech: The Story Begins. Get it for your iPad or play on Chromebook, Mac or Windows on the web.
The time line lessons are from AzTech: Meet the Maya. Download on iPad or play on Chromebook, Mac or Windows on the web. Included with a school or classroom game pack, or you can buy individual downloads for $1.99.