What do we mean by “masters of” ? What does the word “indigenous mean?
- What’s the word? PPTX slides History terms explained – ancient, masters of, empire – with illustrations. IN SPANISH: ¿Cuál es la palabra?
- What’s the word? in PDF – PDF IN SPANISH: ¿Cuál es la palabra?
Using a Timeline
If you’re a teacher, you probably know that timelines are actually a social studies standard, not math. However, that seems like splitting hairs to us. We’re all about teaching math in context and we know from experience that many students struggle with timelines that have dates before the year zero.
Solving timeline problems with years Before the Common Era (B.C.E.) – This video explains the meaning of B.C.E. and how to use a time line to find the number of years between two dates when one of those dates is B.C.E.
This short video is an example of solving a time line problem when one of the dates is B.C.E. and the other is A.C.E.
- POWERPOINT of this video Timeline example with BCE – Addition of negative values using timelines for clarification.
- POWERPOINT of this video IN SPANISH: Línea de tiempo con AEC
- PDF of this video Timeline with BCE – Addition of negative values using timelines for clarification
- PDF OF THIS VIDEO IN SPANISH: Línea de tiempo con AEC
Games teaching history terms and concepts
The history terms resources come from our free game, AzTech: The Story Begins. Get it for your iPad or play on Chromebook, Mac or Windows on the web.
The timeline lessons are from AzTech: Meet the Maya. Get it for your iPad or play on Chromebook, Mac or Windows on the web. Included with a school or classroom game pack or you can buy individual copies for $1.99.