We have so many resources to teach fractions, we have linked these across a few pages. Below you can find our games that teach fractions. Our PowerPoint presentations, PDFs, and lesson plans.
We have three main games that focus mostly on fractions. Click the green button to see the full catalog of games and explore by system and subject.
- Players practice fractions and learn problem-solving strategies in a historical Ojibwe tribal setting. Runs on iPad, Mac and Windows computers.
- Follow two teenagers who apply their knowledge of fractions, decimals, measurement and statistics to retrace the Ojibwe migration through the U.S. and Canada. Plays on the web on Mac, Windows or Chromebook.
- This cross-curricular adventure game focuses on fractions and basic statistics against a backdrop of social studies and Mesoamerican history. Making it twice as nice, it comes as an English and Spanish for ELL. Runs on Mac, Windows, Chromebook or web browser.
Fractions Lessons, PowerPoints and PDFs
We’ve put these topics in order of how we would teach them in a class, but your choice may vary. For example, we tend to give a lot of examples of equivalent fractions and then when students are saying, “How do you FIND those equivalent fractions?” we go into renaming, least common multiples and common denominators. You might decide to do the explanations and then the examples, or example – explanation – example, which is actually our preferred method but it didn’t fit in a table well.
POWERPOINTS & PDFs
What's a Fraction?
Multi-step Problems with Like Denominators
Renaming Fractions & Common Denominators
Unlike Fractions (Unlike Denominators)
Multiplying Fractions (with Like Denominators)
Click on each lesson plan to visit the lesson plan’s page on our site. Each lesson plan comes with an organized fractions lesson with standards, the lesson, videos, corresponding games, and any other resources of ours you may need.
- Introducing Fractions – Before you jump into teaching how to add, subtract, multiply or divide fractions, it’s best to take some time to be sure your students understand what a fraction is. This lesson starts with four videos that explain what exactly IS a fraction. For those who would rather use slides for a more detailed explanations to students we include PowerPoint presentations you can download and modify.
- Equivalent Fractions – This lesson plan begins with a definition then proceeds to examples of equivalent fractions and how these could be used. We like this lesson plan because it includes multiple ways to consider equivalent fractions, from distance to shapes.
Converting a Fraction to Equal 1 – When is a fraction equal to one? This lesson plan introduces your students to converting fractions to whole numbers.
Using Visual Models to Compare Fractions – One way to teach students fractions is to have them write their own problems and give the answer. Next, have them solve and discuss each other’s problems. Play the Fish Lake game to get some ideas of fractions problems.
Five Ways to Teach Equivalent Fractions and Comparing Fractions – Three videos, a slide show and game. Why? Because many students need to hear (or see) the material more than once or from a different perspective.
Adding and Subtracting Fractions with a Common Denominator – Those pesky word problems! This lesson walks through an example of a multi-step word problem that involves adding and subtracting fractions with a common denominator and converting one to be an equivalent fraction.
Adding Fractions Using Doughnuts – This lesson for Grades 4-5 uses doughnuts to illustrate adding fractions with like denominators and takes students through the steps of adding mixed number fractions that also have like denominators.
Multi-step Fraction Word Problems Involving Time – This lesson teaches equivalent fractions and common denominators. Two ways of solving the same problem are presented.
Internet Field Trips
Internet Field Trip: An Overview on Teaching Fractions – This page has resources you need to formulate an internet field trip about fractions with both our resources and outside sources.
7 Generation Games Fractions Videos
Click on a category to see a list of links to fractions videos on our website. Each opens in a new browser tab.
- What is Half?
- Fraction and Decimal Equality
- Adding and Multiplying Fractions With Like Denominators
- How to Compare Fractions with Unlike Denominators
- Adding and Comparing fractions with Like Denominators
- How to Compare Like Fractions
- How to Compare Fractions with Common Denominators
- Using Equivalent Fractions to Compare Fractions – with Stew