This Common Core-aligned reading lesson helps students practice reading and comprehending a non-fiction passage, Seasons on the Prairie. For assessment, students will take a quiz. Students will focus on context clues, author’s tone and purpose, and learn about prairies. We have a discussion section containing three questions for your students to respond to.
Lesson Plan Overview
The PowerPoint is downloadable and editable as a PPTX file. If you want a ready-to-go lesson plan, download the PDF. Common Core standards and the Missouri Learning Standards are enclosed for both.
Assignment and Teacher Key
DOCX Downloads (Editable)
PDF Downloads (Ready to go!)
Grade 5 Common Core State Standards
Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
Use context (e.g., cause/effect relationships and comparisons in text) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- Reading 1A (5.R.1.A.c) – Develop and apply skills to the reading process.
- Develop and demonstrate reading skills in response to text by monitoring comprehension and making corrections and adjustments when understanding breaks down
- Reading Foundations 3A (5.RF.3.A.a-b) – Understand how English is written and read.
- Develop phonics in the reading process by those tasks described in a-b.
- Speaking/Listening 1A (5.SL.1.A.a-d) – Listen for a purpose.
- Purpose – Develop and apply effective listening skills and strategies in formal and informal settings by following SL.1.A. a-d.
Making Camp Premium
Play Making Camp Premium! This CCSS-aligned, Native American-themed game engages students with math and problem-solving. For Grades 3-8; downloadable and playable on your smartphone as well as PC, Mac, and Chromebook.